Sunday, August 3, 2008

A shopping we will go...

Today was my first trip to the grocery store this month and overall I feel like I did pretty well. I tried to keep in mind all of my purchases from the farmer's market yesterday and buy food items that could combine to make full meals. I did make a list ahead of time, and stuck to it fairly well. The only items that I purchased that weren't on my original list were focused towards an extra meal that I realized I had other ingredients for.

As I was shopping, it was crazy to see how inflated some food prices are. You are lucky to find a box of cereal for under $4. I can't even believe it. I was lucky to find Corn Chex on sale 2 for $5. I'll be eating them for awhile, but I'm okay with that. A girl needs a good breakfast!

I also splurged a little bit on Weight Watchers Smart Ones. I'm not a huge fan of frozen meals, but I'm terrible about packing lunches, and figure that a frozen meal is better than the $7-15 that I would spend to eat out at work. Some of the frozen meals were on sale today, so I felt okay about it. I got 6 meals for $15, so $2.50 each.

The grand shopping total: $63. 42. I was hoping to stay under $60. I was close, and none of my purchases were frivolous, so I'm feeling okay about it. Plus I stocked up on some staples - dishwasher detergent, aluminum foil, olive oil, and coffee filters (all store brand).

So what will I be eating in the next few weeks? I purchased ingredients for a crab and swiss quiche (which is usually about 6 meals), penne vodka (my favorite meal, and surprisingly not too expensive...plus about 4 servings), chicken of some sort (4 servings), and stuffed green peppers (3 servings), which I'm having tonight. All delicious meals, and fairly affordable.

I don't know that I'm still on track to spend less than $100 this month on food, since I'm already over $70 on groceries/farmer's market purchases, but I'm going to do my best.

Here's to good eating!

K

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...