In just a few hours, those of us that live in the Central Time Zone will be ringing in 2013. No crazy parties for me this year. Just an evening movie, some Chinese food, and watching the ball drop on tv. Scandalous, I know.
It has been quite the year. Looking back, a whole lot has happened. Consider these the highlights that would be included in my holiday letter, which I did not write or send. But here's what you might have received.
- Chris got a job here in Milwaukee. (I can tell you now that it was the wish I made on a piece of confetti that dropped with the ball in Times Square last year. No lie. We'll see if my wish from this year comes true!).
- We moved into our awesome duplex, and began to make it home.
- I wracked up a whole lotta travel miles, both for work and for fun, including stops in Kansas City, St. Louis, New Orleans, Chicago Indianapolis, Columbus, Duluth, and rounding out the year in New England with a bonus trip to NYC. Oh, and I even crossed the border into Canada!
- A few great concerts, including my 21st and 22nd DMB shows, Florence and the Machine, Gavin DeGraw and David Grey.
- I recommitted to my dissertation and found a new advisor. And I continue to make good progress on my proposal, with plans to do my oral exams in the upcoming semester. Yeah school.
- I saw the president. Live and in person. And it was magical.
- I crossed a number of items off my bucket list, including #3, #7, #8, #9, #10, #12, #20, #23, #25, and #27 (See the list on the right for details). Oh, and #1: Read 30 books for fun. You'll just have to hear about Book 30 in the new year.
- I became a real adult and investing in our first appliances thanks to some very generous support from our parents. More on that later.
- I saw some of my closest friends get married and have babies. Woah!
- A major hair cut, from long locks to a pixie!
- I became a runner. Although I haven't run in a few months, it's one thing I hope to pick back up in 2013.
- Oh, and I found Grumpy Cat. Life changer.
While I can't know for sure, I anticipate that even greater things will come from 2013. I mean, I turn 30 in just six weeks!
Happy New Year y'all. I hope that your expectations are exceeded. Go do something big in 2013!