Monday, February 11, 2013

Beyond 30 - Books 31 and 33: Sherlock Style!



As I mentioned, I have been pretty excited about Sherlock Holmes lately. All thanks to the BBC Series, Sherlock, of course. Plus a little bit of CBS' Elementary.

So when I happened upon free versions of all of the stories and novels by Arthur Conan Doyle on the Kindle Free Classics from Amazon, I jumped right in. Nothing like a free e-book!

Initially, I wasn't reading them in order, so I started with The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Mainly because I found it first. But also because it has some of the stories that the BBC series used as a foundation for their modern spinoff.

Each of the stories was pretty short, looking at a different case of Sherlock Holmes, as told from the eyes of Dr. John Watson, his dutiful sidekick. The first of the series is A Scandal in Bohemia, which is the readers only interaction with the infamous Irene Adler. Some of my other favorites from these stories included A Case of Identity, The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle, and The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor (I've heard they may use this one in the third installment of the Sherlock mini-series).

Then I decided to go back to the beginning, starting with the first novel, A Study in Scarlet. This is the initial story where Holmes and Watson first meet and become roommates. It is also the story of some mysterious murders, with a twist involving Mormonism. The Sherlock BBC series used this for their first episode, A Study in Pink, which used a very loose adaptation. Overall, a pretty good story.

Anyone else a fan of Sherlock Holmes? Which is your favorite movie/tv adaptation?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...