Saturday, July 17, 2010

Book #6: Vanishing Acts

Yup, more Jodi Picoult. Although this time, I ended up getting an audio book. With those long car rides across various states, it made sense to use the time with something productive, rather than listening to the same CDs over and over. With 14 CDs, at about an hour each, I finished the book in roughly two weeks. Not bad at all. I have a second audio book - it'll be interesting to see how long it takes me to finish this one during regular daily trips.



As per the others, this book focuses on a variety of different character's viewpoints, and includes challenging topics like kidnapping, alcoholism, and love triangles. Picoult includes interesting settings and themes....there is a whole Native American storyline in this book, the main character does search and rescue with her bloodhound, and one character even gives a detailed description as to how to make meth. The scenes from prison were probably the most difficult to listen to, but contributed to the overall story. It's amazing the things she ties in.

Vanishing Acts was good, although not necessarily my favorite of the Jodi Picoult books I've now read. (I think I'm partial to My Sister's Keeper, or The Pact so far). I found it more difficult to like most of the characters. Perhaps that relates back to a main theme that seems to appear in her books - everyone is flawed.

On to the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...