Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Pinterest Project: Freezing Basil

I have posted about our adventures with a CSA basket a few times. Sadly, I have probably thrown away more of the vegetables than those that I have eaten. So lately, I have been making a concerted effort to find a way to freeze or keep those that I can't eat right away, especially as winter approaches and veggie costs go up.

I have already made a few batches of pesto, which Chris won't eat, so when I got even more basil this week, I decided to try a new technique that I saw on Pinterest - freezing basil and olive oil in ice cube trays! A huge thanks to The Kitchn for the pin-spiration!

It was incredibly easy. I started with an empty ice cube tray... 


Tore up some basil leaves and filled the cube spots...


Poured in some olive oil...


Covered with plastic wrap...


Froze overnight until solid...


Threw in a ziploc and put back in the freezer. 


Dunzo. I can't wait to be able to use some fresh herbs in oil throughout the winter, without having to buy it at the store when it is incredibly expensive. 

Definitely worth trying with your extra herbs. Next up: figuring out what to do with my arugula!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...