Thursday, July 9, 2009

Changes, and The Will to Not Shop

Wow, it has been a long time since I have posted anything. And in that time, I think that I've become even more broke...

The last few months I have been overspending quite a bit and I need to reign it in. However, the summer months always seem to be full of adventures, vacations, and other fun that leaves my pocket quite empty. In addition, I will once again be the single occupant of my apartment, meaning that living expenses will be double starting next month - leaving me with less cash for my fun budget.

In order to deal with this change, I have already switched all of my utilities to budget billing. For both my gas and electricity, I will pay a flat rate each month, so that those high air conditioning and heating months don't break the bank. Those surprise bills can be rough!

I am also debating turning off my cable, or downgrading to basic. As much as I love Food Network and Bravo shows, I figure that I can watch most online. I rarely have time to watch tv anyway, so it shouldn't be too big of a change.

Sadly, all I want to do right now is shop. With my roommate taking her things to her new condo, I would like to replace the items that will be leaving - especially the nice 32-inch HD tv. I don't really want to go back to watching my little 16-inch. I won't be losing any major furniture pieces (although I would love to upgrade from a futon to a couch or loveseat), but there are the smaller things - a shower curtain, wall clock, lamps, rugs, throw pillows, wall art, etc. that tie the place together. I've got the itch to redecorate, but how do I keep it on budget?

That is going to be the challenge. I have decided to see how much that I can save during the month of July. Whatever I have leftover from my current paycheck at the end of the month can go towards decorating.

My account balance is already looking low following an unexpected Fourth vacay, so I'm going to have to be really good over the next few weeks. Only free entertainment, very limited eating out, no Starbucks (tear).

I'm hoping to have some exciting new purchases to spice up my place in a few weeks. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...