Sunday, October 10, 2010

Book #12: Julie and Julia

It's been ages since I saw Julie and Julia, which was a great movie. I have been waiting to read the book for awhile, but just hadn't gotten around to it. For those who haven't seen or heard of the movie, Julie Powell was a secretary living in post-9/11 New York when she decided to take on a blogging project to help get her out of her rut. Back when blogging was still relatively new, she cooked her way through Julia Child's cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking. The book follows her kitchen adventures as she makes her way through 524 recipes in 365 days.

I'll be honest. I liked the movie better. The movie actually combines pieces of Powell's book with piece's of Child's autobiography, My Life in France, putting the two stories of the women side-by-side, which you do not get as much of in Julie and Julia, the book. I also felt like Powell was sort of irritating. I had a hard time liking her, which didn't help me get through the book. I love food so much, that I was disappointed that I didn't like it more.

Powell's challenge was certainly an interesting one. Hearing the different recipes, I could feel how difficult and frustrating that it must be to cook classic french meals. She also ate a lot of things that I don't think I'd ever want to try. If I had to do my own challenge with a cookbook, I think I'd try to work my way through Martha Stewart Cupcakes. A recipe per day might be a little much, but I would like to get through them all someday.

What would you cook?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...