Monday, October 11, 2010

Book #13: Mini Shopaholic

I have been buzzing through those library books!

I could not have been more excited for the latest of Sophie Kinsella's shopaholic books. I've had it on reserve at the library three months before it even came out.

I love love LOVE Becky Bloomwood. She is a fantastic character, who sadly could have been done much better via film. I love Isla Fischer, but the movie was just okay. Why they made her character American in the movie, I just don't understand. Way too many changes. I digress.

The fifth in the series, Mini Shopaholic, finds Becky and Luke living with their two year-old, Minnie at Becky's parents. Minnie causes lots of chaos, as she wants anything and everything (just like her mother). As the city undergoes a financial crisis and everyone tries to reign in their spending, Becky of course struggles with her lavish tastes and over the top indulgences. As she tries to plan a fabulous surprise birthday party for Luke, she runs into her usual blunders and hilarity ensues.

I really liked the book, although I would have loved even more of Minnie. After the last book featuring momma-to-be Becky, I figured Minnie would be a more central piece of this story than she was. However I think that the book had a fabulous focus on motherhood, through the stories of the different mothers: Becky, her mother, and Elinor.

I won't give too much more away, but you should definitely check it out. Kinsella writes fabulous chick lit, that is funny without being cheesy or unintelligent. I hope I don't have to wait too long for the next Becky book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...