Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Staycay

Oh. Hello. Long time no see. My Olympics addiction has kept me from blogging for far too long. I just cannot seem to pull myself away from the TV and the Twitter. Which is crazy, because I actually had some time off last week. Both Monday and Tuesday. 

It is not often that I have a day off, or two for that matter, with nothing to do. If I use a vacation day, it is typically because I am either traveling (most vacation days are spent in the car), attending a conference/training, or on rare occasion, going on an actual vacation. The last time that I had two days off with no real plans was two years ago, when we happened to have back-to-back snow days at SLU. Being snowed in during a major storm is a bit different than having two beautiful summer weekdays off. I was sort of at a loss for what to do.

I started by doing what I know best. Making a To-Do List for my two days off with all of the "fun" I wanted to squeeze in. Nothing says "I don't know how to relax" more than planning out one's relaxing. Am I right?!

The list looked a little something like this:
  • Clean apartment - Check
  • Go to the beach - Check
  • Read books - Check
  • Watch the Olympics - Check
  • Target trip (with it's own list)
  • Work on dissertation - Sort-of Check
  • Clean out fridge
  • Clean out closet
  • Get shoes for Maria's wedding
  • Drink coffee - Check
  • Get in two runs - Sort-of check
  • Take naps - Check
  • Pay bills
  • Play with kitties - Check
  • Watch Treme and send back to Netflix
  • Finish blog posts
  • Go to the mall
  • Get more Gu from Sports Authority
  • Makeup from Bare Minerals
  • Sleep In
 Please note that I am really good at overloading a To Do list, whether for fun or for work. There were a few things on here that immediately got crossed off, once I figured out that I didn't actually get paid until Wednesday. Basically anything that required money. Womp womp. Broke Staycations are not very exciting.

But I did manage to check off a few of the other things, both fun and errands/chores. Yes, even on my staycation, I had chores on the list. Between my running schedule and work, I haven't had so much time to keep a tidy house, and several rooms were in need of some TLC.

A few highlights of my staycation:


I got in two morning runs, followed by this amazingly healthy breakfast. Check out how well I eat when I have time to cook. 


The nice weather let me open up all of the windows, which made the cats very happy. Always a plus when I can watch them stalk squirrels and birds from behind the screens.


Took a walk to the beach, and managed to stop and check out the Little Free Library on Lake Dr. So cute! We are actually doing a walking challenge at work. It is amazing the steps I got in on my two days off. So much more time for physical activity. Plus, you get in a TON of steps cleaning with all of the back and forth between rooms.


Walked through Atwater Park.


And down to Atwater Beach! So beautiful.


I stayed at the beach for probably about an hour, and managed to get sunburned, despite sunscreen application. While there I multi-tasked reading a book and checking updates on the Olympics via Twitter. Crazy, yes.


I also squeezed in a trip to the bakery and to Starbucks for a little afternoon snack. Yum.(I also spent a lot of time on Instagram - you can probably tell...)

A few reflections on my staycation experience.

1. I am really uncomfortable with just relaxing, because I so rarely have time to do it. I pride myself on being good at "going with the flow," but I seemed to struggle with a lack of structured time during my day off, and had to create a schedule/structure for myself. Perhaps on another staycation I can try a different route.
2. Sleeping-in just didn't happen. I really wanted to sleep late, but between Chris and the cats morning routine (yes, my cats seem to have a strict schedule), I got up at my regular time. The benefit of this is that I got my runs in early before it was too hot, and I was able to catch lots of Olympics coverage.
3. I could not resist the urge not to check my e-mail. I only logged on once, but then panicked when I saw how full my inbox was, and immediately began responding to stuff. Which then resulted in some of my coworkers yelling at me to stop responding. So I did log out. Oops.
4. Post-vacay led to me being super overwhelmed when I got back into the office. That wasn't fun. I need to find some better coping mechanisms to deal with that so that I don't immediately regret taking time off.
5. I would like to attempt to disconnect from social media on a future vacay/staycay. I actually probably used social media even more while off this time, again, mainly because of the Olympics. I think I would be a lot more refreshed if I turned everything off for a bit.

And finally - I am thinking that four years from now, I'll just take the full two weeks of the Olympics off. That Olympics fever really gets me...

How do you spend your Staycations?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...