Thursday, January 3, 2013

#1: Read 30 Books For Fun

Only serious books for awhile now. 
Isn't reading fun?

I have now read 30 books, checking #1 off of my list.

Looking back, I read quite the variety of books. Check out these stats:

# of fiction books: 24
# of non-fiction books: 3
# of biographies/memoirs: 2
# of audio books: 14
# of books for book club: 3...sad that fizzled out. We need to get that going again.
# of series: 3

Favorite book read: A tie between Bossypants by Tina Fey and Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling. Both had me laughing out loud. I know I've said it before, but I definitely recommend both of these in audio book.

Least favorite book: Therese Raquin. Yuck.

Book(s) that I would read again: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. And definitely Mindy's and Tina's books.

The 31st Book: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle - I am a huge fan of the show Sherlock, and wanted to go back and read the stories that the episodes are based on. I'll write a review for that one in a bit.

Currently Reading: A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle. See above. I'm a nerd.

I'm going to be heavily focused on my dissertation for awhile, so I don't know how much time that I will have for pleasure reading. But, I do try to squeeze in a good book when I can. Here is what's on my shelf, waiting to be read next:

  • The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach
  • Manhunt: The 12 Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson
  • State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
  • Life of Pi by Yann Martel
  • Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith
  • The End of the Affair by Graham Greene
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
  • Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
  • The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection by Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
I have a whole list of books that I hope to get time to read beyond that, but it sounds like a good start. 


Here is the full 30B430 list.

3 comments:

  1. Have you considered joining GoodReads or dropping your booklist into their site and then pulling an RSS feed back into your blog?
    --For some reason I have been stuck reading the same "book" since last June. But give me some cred -- The Pentagon Papers is over 7,300 pages.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use it on and off. I'm sure it's fairly outdated for what I'm reading right now, but it is a place I often look to get ideas for what to read next. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed The Art of Fielding. Especially given our profession. I think you'll enjoy it too! And I was going to check out Carry the One but perhaps I won't given your thoughts. Currently reading Defending Jacob, a great murder-crime book and next up: The Fault in our Stars. Heard really good things about it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...