Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Wash and Dry

So tonight is my laundry night.

Unfortunately, I do not have a washer and dryer in my apartment, or even in my building. My apartment complex has a separate laundry facility, located just around the corner. Because I have to drive to do my laundry, I do it about every 4-6 weeks. Basically, I do laundry when I run out of underwear.

After packing up my six loads (and my $15 in quarters), unloading them and getting them in the washers, I patiently waited until each hit the rinse cycle and I could add my fabric softener. I then waited a little longer until it was time to transfer everything into the dryers. I was fortunate that when I arrived there were six washers available. I was even luckier that there were six dryers when my wash was done.

See, I'm under the impression that most people in my complex have poor laundry etiquette. Our washers only take about 20-25 minutes, yet everyone just dumps there stuff in and leaves, sometimes for an hour or more. This means that wet laundry just sits there, backing up the cycle for the rest of us. And then of course, they come back, and leave their stuff in the dryers for even longer. I've timed it - the dryers take just over an hour. I too will leave while my clothes are drying, but I know when I need to come back. If your stuff is dry and the dryer is cold at the time that I arrive with my dirty laundry, you should at least make an effort to come back before my stuff is done in the wash. Because of course, there are equal numbers of washers and dryers, so when everyone is waiting for a dryer, which takes twice as long, it's really frustrating.

I long for the day that I will once again have my own washer and dryer. No more saving up quarters (because the machine is always out), no more guarding machines. The laundromat is a stressful place! It reminds me of the Friends episode where Ross and Rachel fight with the lady in the laundromat, and then Rachel turns her whites pink. Thankfully I have yet to do that!

Someday, someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...