Thursday, March 15, 2012

My Top Ten TV Characters

I watch a lot of tv. I mean, a lot. There are many other things I should be doing with my time, but most often, I prefer to catch up on some of my favorite shows. I think this is because there are so many great tv characters. Here are my top ten.



1. Ron Swanson on Parks and Recreation

You cannot argue this one. Ron Swanson is the best character on TV. Hands down. With each season, he continues to get better. This season started off with a glimpse into Ron's past as all three Tammys showed up - his first wife, second wife, and his mom. Yep, all named Tammy. You also couldn't help but love Ron Swanson as a no-nonsense wilderness camp leader. I am constantly craving more Ron Swanson and his mustache.



2. Jess Day on New Girl

Why has Zooey Deschanel not been on tv until now? There are quirky, nerdy little girls (and big girls like me) who need to know it is okay to be quirky and nerdy. Jess is our role model. Plus, she has this awkward yet loving relationship with her three male roommates. By far the best Jess line so far:

"I brake for birds. I rock a lot of polka dots. I have touched glitter in the last 24 hours. I spend my entire day talking to children. And I find it fundamentally strange that you’re not a dessert person. It freaks me out.  I’m sorry that I don’t talk like Murphy Brown. And I hate your pants suit. I wish it had ribbons on it or something just to make it slightly cuter but that doesn’t mean I’m not smart and tough and strong."
Glorious. I want to be more like Jess.



3. Temperance Brennan on Bones

Those Deschanel sisters are awesome, right? Bones is not on right now due to Emily Deschanel's maternity leave, but I cannot wait for it to come back. I think her character is perhaps one of the most under appreciated on tv. She is basically brilliant, but terrible at reading social cues, which makes for some interesting moments. Plus she gets to solve murders and hang out with a hot FBI agent. Now that's my idea of a good time. Smart girls are awesome.


4. Cam on Modern Family

I am pretty sure that Cam is on everyone's list. How can you not love him? Especially when he was laughing as his daughter dropped f bombs. Wouldn't we all want to do the same? Best cold open this season - his sleep clowning. Funny and frightening at the same time.



5. Sheldon Cooper on The Big Bang Theory

I'm a little late to the game on The Big Bang Theory. I just started watching this year, and went through five seasons in just a few months. How on earth had I been missing out on the delightful geeky awkwardness that is Sheldon Cooper? The episode when he loses it and is popping around in a kiddy ball pit was perhaps the funniest thing I have ever seen. And of course, I love "Soft Kitty."


6. Emily Thorne on Revenge

Most of what I watch is comedies, but I happened to start Revenge earlier this year and was immediately hooked. That Emily Thorne is so stinkin smart and crafty. Plus she's uber wealthy, so she gets to wear fancy clothes and go to fancy parties. That would be pretty cool...  



7. Alex on Whitney

I know there are a lot of Whitney haters, but I enjoy the show. It has gotten tons better since it started. Mostly I keep watching because I love Alex, and his relationship with Whitney. He puts up with those times that she is totally neurotic, which is most of the time, but he also messes up sometimes too. I like that their relationship is a little more equal than most that you see on tv. The episode that showed how they met was the one that stole my heart.



8. Tom Haverford on Parks and Recreation

At first, I found Tom kind of annoying. Probably because he is supposed to feel like your immature little brother, that somehow grew up and has a big kid job, yet still acts like he is five. Eventually though he grew on me. I think it was when I heard all of his variations on food names (if you don't know what I am talking about, see this website.Who doesn't want to eat Chicky chicky parm parm (chicken parmesan), or apps and zerts (appetizers and desserts)?



9. Barney Stinson on How I Met Your Mother

Barney is my standby for a good laugh because you know that he is bound to say multiple inappropriate things in each episode. But there is also that softer side of him that comes out every once in awhile. And I can't help but want him to end up with Robin in the end. I'm hoping we will figure that one out before the end of this season.

  

10. Zoe Hart on Hart of Dixie

Laugh if you want. I watch a CW show (or two or three...), and I enjoy Hart of Dixie. Back in the day, I loved The OC, mainly for Rachel Bilson's character, Summer, and her sweet/dysfunctional relationship with Seth. I am so excited that she is back on tv, and appreciate her new character and the silly circumstances she gets herself into in her small Alabama town.


Who almost made the list?

I am a big Sue Sylvester fan, but lately Glee just hasn't been my thing. I still have the last three episodes waiting in my Hulu queue. And yet I seem to keep picking other shows to watch first. Also why Brittany didn't make the list.

If I were to pick a second Modern Family character, it would probably be Luke. That actor (who is actually Mensa smart), is really good at playing a dumb kid. He has some of the best one liners.  

I may be one of few people that is sad to see House come to an end. I understand that it is time, but I have held on all this time, and will missing watching Hugh Laurie be a  totally mean and nasty, genius problem solver.

There were several shows that I love, but could not pick out one character over all of the rest. This is true for both Parenthood (love those crazy Bravermans), and Once Upon a Time. I'm not enough into any of the fairytale characters stories to have a favorite yet.

I should mention that I do not have cable. So I hear lots about Breaking Bad and a variety of other shows that I will likely never see. My list may not be comprehensive of your favorites, but that is okay. It is mine. : )

Who would be on your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...