Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Summer Reading 2010

I love reading, and I love that I have more time to spend doing it during the summer months. I can often be found at the library browsing through the fiction section and bringing home more books that I can possibly get through.

I've already begun placing holds at the library for the upcoming summer for some of my favorite authors. All of the good chick lit is coming out this summer, just in time for some beach/pool reading fun. I'm most excited for:

Fly Away Home by Jennifer Weiner - You might have read In Her Shoes, Good in Bed, or most recently, Certain Girls. All good books, although In Her Shoes is probably my favorite. Fly Away Home is scheduled to come out mid-July. From her web site, it will feature a politician and a sex scandal - ripped from the headlines, haha.

Mini-Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella - I love the Shopaholic books more than any other book series (I don't love the movie quite as much, even though Isla Fischer is adorable). I relate to Becky Bloomwood in so many ways. Kinsella hasn't written a Shopaholic book in quite some time, focusing instead on her stand-alone novels: Twenties Girl and Remember Me. According to her web site, it won't be out until September. I'm #17 on the hold list at my public library. The cover says "Like mother, like daughter." I can only imagine.

Promises to Keep by Jane Green - The first Jane Green book that I read was Jemima J, the fantastic book about an overweight woman who loses the weight, embarks on an adventure in love online, and finds herself in the process. Jemima J came out in 2000, and it's already outdated in it's Internet references. Ten years later, it seems like Green's writing has gone from over-the-top and cute chick lit, to more refined and geared towards a crowd that has aged with her (not that she's old). Her characters have progressed from 20-somethings in search of love to married women and mothers, which makes sense since she has six kids! Her new book is set to release in June, right around the corner. Read more about Jane's books on her site.

Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin - Emily Giffin is another "chick lit" author that I got into one summer while reading by the pool. Her books are not necessarily my favorite, but they are still pretty good. Giffin's new book, Heart of the Matter, features two women, one, a mother who has given up her career to stay home with her family, and the other, a single mother and career-woman who has given up on romance. The intersection of their stories is deemed tragic, so it's sure to be an interesting story. Great news - this book was released yesterday! For those interested in reading it right away, head to your nearest Barnes and Noble. I just have to wait for 38 others to read and return, then it's all mine (for the three-week check out period).

One author who I had hoped to see something from this summer is Meg Cabot. I've enjoyed all of her adult series, especially her Heather Wells mysteries, since Heather is a former teen pop star, who now works in a residence hall on a college campus in New York City. Can you believe it, Student Affairs has made an appearance in "chick lit"! Cabot seems to have been focusing on her young adult books lately, which include the Princess Diaries series. While I'm sure they are super cute, but I was hoping for something for me! According to her web site, she does have a big kid book coming out this summer, Insatiable, which seems to jump on the vampire bandwagon with everyone else in the post-Twilight craze. Although I've read the Twilight books, I might have to pass on this one.
Thank goodness for the public library, which saves me tons of money on all of these great books! Kindle schmindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...