Saturday, June 5, 2010

Cost of Pets

Check out this really interesting post from Get Rich Slowly about the cost of having pets. Would you ever consider getting rid of your pets during a financial crisis? How much are you willing to spend on your pet? Especially if they require significant medical care? All interesting questions posed by the blogger.

Bucky, my cat, is now three years old and I've had him since he was a kitten. He was "free" when I got him, minus the fact that he was sick and required immediate vet attention which left me with a few hundred dollars in bills. That wasn't counting his later appointments for neutering (sorry buddy), getting his from claws removed (sorry again), and the several trips to try to figure out why he kept peeing on my bed and then, even worse, my roommate's bed (he owes me an apology for this one....it's was definitely behavioral). That also meant significant costs for replacement bedding. And of course the regular things like food and litter aren't cheap either. As sweet as he is, he is definitely expensive.

But he's a part of my life, and he brings me joy every day, especially when I come home after a long day of work. He is by far my favorite, even if he is a little bratty sometimes. More often than not, he is loving, entertaining, and more than willing to share this little apartment with me. I'd look to cut a lot of other things before I'd cut him out of my life. He's worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...