Friday, July 6, 2012

Me and Dave, Dave and Me

If you have known me for some amount of time, it has probably become clear that I am a huge fan of the Dave Matthews Band. I went to my first concert on Sunday, September 1, 2002 at Alpine Valley.

The ticket stub from my very first show. I can't find 'em all, but I still have this one.
 They played the following set list:
  1. Pig
  2. Granny
  3. Where Are You Going
  4. If I Had It All
  5. Dancing Nancies
  6. Warehouse
  7. Rhyme & Reason
  8. One Sweet World
  9. #41
  10. So Much to Say
  11. Anyone Seen the Bridge
  12. Too Much
  13. Grace Is Gone
  14. I Did It
  15. Two Step
    Encore:
  16. Gravedigger
    (Dave Matthews song) (Dave solo)
  17. Ants Marching
At the time, I owned two DMB albums - Before These Crowded Streets, and Dave and Tim: Live at Luther. Of the songs they played at the show, I knew a handful. I loved One Sweet World into #41. I don't think I knew Pig at the time (I hadn't ever listened to BTCS all the way through), and it is now my favorite song - the first I ever heard live. I vowed that night that I would always go to both nights of a two-night tour stop. I was hooked.

Ten years later, and I am headed to my 21st and 22nd shows this weekend.As of last year, I have officially graduated from the lawn, and will sit under the Pavilion tonight. What I love most, is that every single show is different. And I can't say that there has ever been a bad one.

I have seen the band play at the Gorge out in Washington, both Busch Stadium and Fenway Park, and a special show at UW-Madison as part of the Vote for Change tour in 2004. Not to mention, that I am now the proud owner of several DMB t-shirts, a sweatshirt from the Gorge, and various posters which hang throughout our place. I've stopped counting how many of their cds that I have.

My love of DMB has triggered many new friendships with fellow fans over the years. And one very important relationship. Four years ago, while attending a professional development institute, Chris and I had our first non-work-related conversation about Dave Matthews. Later that year, when we attended a conference together, it was Dave Matthews that got us talking again, and probably why we kept talking.

So thank you, Dave - I don't know that Chris and I would be celebrating these 3+ years together if it wasn't for you. And Happy Tenth Anniversary. It's been a sweet road. Looking forward to 10 more years.

Oh, and please play Pig tonight. : )

Time is winding down for my second blog giveaway, the Cupcake Decorating Kit. Check out this post for more details. I'll pick a winner on Monday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...