Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Pinterest Challenge


So two of my favorite bloggers, Sherry from Young House Love and Katie from Bower Power, have issued a new edition of their Pinterest Challenge: a call to actually make something with all of those pins that you have hanging out on your Pinterest boards. I have always had the good intentions of participating in the three previous challenges, but could never get my act together to do it in time.

I actually was mostly inspired to do something this time, when Sherry wrote that she planned to paint something and make some wall art. I have had six blank canvases of various sizes sitting in storage for awhile now, waiting for some paint to make them pretty. Plus, we were looking for a few more pieces to round out our gallery wall. Which actually is not anything yet - all of the pictures are sitting on a shelf, waiting to be hung. Procrastinate much? Yep.

One of the specific pins from Sherry was from Diane at Home Sweet Homemade. Sherry had pinned this picture that Diane made, using a toothpaste cap as a stamp, of sorts.

Stamp Art from Home Sweet Homemade. See the details here. 
Seemed easy enough. And it reminded me a lot of an art idea that I had pinned to my Wall Art-DIY board from Pawley's Island Posh. I don't know if these were actually DIY, or expensive art, but they provide great inspiration!


I decided that I would do a similar pair of canvases, with two different sizes of circles. I already had all of the supplies needed: a container of red acrylic paint, two 8x10 stretched canvases, a paper plate for my paint, and some newspaper for floor coverage. For my smaller circles, I started with the top of an empty mouth wash container. A tall mug worked for the larger circles. 


Getting started was pretty easy. Paint on plate. Dip mouthwash lid in paint, and go!


I intentionally started my circles off the edge, because I didn't want the circles to be perfectly lined up. I really like the big rough edges, and a few unintentional drips.


I staggered my lines as I went.


As you can see, it is definitely not perfect. Some of the circles are not totally complete, or heavier on different sides. But I like that even more. 


I left that one to dry and switched to the mug. 


I started in the middle of the picture, so that it didn't follow exactly the same pattern as the smaller circles. This one went very fast. 


After letting them dry overnight, they now look like this:


Love em! We still have to hang everything. But I think they will be a great addition to the wall. 

Thanks to Sherry and Katie for hosting the Pinterest Challenge. It was so fun! Here are the links to their projects: Sherry, Katie, and Kate and Michelle, who hosted with them this time. Check out the creative stuff they have made.

Have you made anything from Pinterest lately?

Oh, and the giveaway winner will be announced tonight! I know you are on the edge of your seats...




5 comments:

  1. I like it. I might do something with bright pink on the white canvas for my daughters room. I want to add more of the bright pink, but not too much so all the white in the canvas would be great. Thanks for sharing. I also did the pinterest challenge, you can check out my DIY littlest pet shop house here: http://controllingcraziness.blogspot.com/2012/07/diy-littlest-pet-shop-house.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the red. I tried this project and hubby totally hated it. I can't win 'em all I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. I think I am going to try this but using different colors and adding a quote to put in our craft room. Maybe it will help us on days we need some inspiration to get the creative juices flowing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really stunning, but totally simple! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all for the kind feedback!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...