Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Green Leafy Overload!


My mom, sister and I have been splitting a CSA basket for the last several months. I talked about it a little bit before here. Each week, we get a surprise assortment of veggies that we divide and conquer.

Although lately, I haven't been doing so good on the conquering part. More like, take my share of the veggies and dump them in the crisper drawer - also known as, where food goes to die. It's true. Once it hits the drawer, I usually forget about it until it is unrecognizable. Very bad habit that leads to a sometimes stinky fridge.

I always had the best intentions of eating all of those delicious (and free) vegetables, but at some point, the weekly deliveries got a little overwhelming, and the ziplocs of spoiled lettuces piled too high.

Last week, I decided to start fresh. I dumped out all of the old, and brought home only what I thought I could reasonably eat this week.

Okay, it is still a lot. But I made this delicious meal yesterday, using my spring onions, kale, and basil. Yum! Kale is a new veggie that I have discovered through the CSA.


My challenge is to now eat the rest of what I have throughout this week. I think it will actually be easier now that we seem to be getting less lettuce and more squashes and other things. I am VERY excited about having fresh basil and mint. Not sure what I am going to do with the pattypan squash....

2 comments:

  1. We chopped up the patty pan and sauteed it on the grill like we do with the other summer squash. You have to deseed it a bit and only sautee the fleshy parts but it tastes great! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. I will have to try that. Any tips on the Kohlrabi?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...