Monday, April 2, 2012

#3: Pay off my car payments (early, please)

 

There is no better feeling than paying off a debt. Especially when it's been carried along for almost five years.

In July 2007, during the weekend that I was offered and accepted a job at Saint Louis University, my mom said, "Okay, let's go get your new car." There was no question that I was going to get a Honda Civic, as the only cars my family has purchased since the 80s were Hondas. So off we went to good old Wilde Honda where I picked out my new car. I remember freaking out on the way over, as neither my mom nor I seemed experienced or prepared enough to buy a car. I definitely asked her, "Do you even know what you are doing? Because I certainly don't." Thankfully, she knew someone at the dealership who pointed us towards a nice salesperson. It should be noted that I did not test drive the car. I was too nervous, so I let the salesperson drive, while I road in the passenger seat. Yep, I'm that girl. I then drove her back to Iowa, before moving to St. Louis.

That was the start of five years of monthly payments, which ended today when I paid off the car in full. Cue the confetti, balloon drop and fireworks!!! She is all mine, and it feels great. Especially since I decided to bite the bullet and paid it off three months early.

Looking back, I wish that I would have purchased a gently used car, rather than new. You can get used cars in such good condition now, that I could have definitely saved myself some money. But the plan is that I will drive my little Civic until she can't drive anymore. She's already seen a lot of miles, been through golf ball-sized hail, had a few flat tires and fender benders. I'll be sure to ignore all of the mail coming in from the dealership, encouraging me to trade in my vehicle and start payments all over again. Instead perhaps I'll start saving for my next car. I would love to pay for it in cash.

Check #3 off the list. Payments are dunzo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...