On Saturday, I will run my first race ever, the Deer Run 10K. That's right, I have never done a 5K (3.2 miles), but will be running a 10K. 6.4 miles. Go me! It's big, and yet little at the same time.
At this time, I have logged 82.53 miles. My longest run was the 6 miles that I ran two Sundays ago. Does that mean that I'm ready? I sure hope so. I have been following the prescribed training program from Team Paws, and have managed to stay on track.
I have been running regularly since February, and continue to hit new milestones. I had never run a full three miles, let alone six. Nor have I really ever gotten to the point where my lungs were no longer crying at the end of a workout. I guess that I would finally call myself a runner now.
Downside of running: my feet aren't looking so hot these days...
Blisters - yuck. Is that a sign that I am a true runner or that I am doing something wrong? I had to paint my toenails to make up for how gross that they look.
Yes, I did just post pictures of my feet on the internet. You're welcome.
As I get into summer, the long runs are going to get longer. And it is going to get hot. I am trying to mentally prepare to have to get up for 5 am runs, just so I do not get heat exhaustion. I am definitely not a morning person, but I am committed to this training.
I have found myself marking other runs that I would like to do in the future, something that I would never have done before. Here is the list so far:
- The Color Run - We are already signed up for the date in Racine in May, and I can't wait.
- Crazylegs Classic in Madison - I walked this as a student, but would love to run it now. It is the same day as the Deer Run 10K this year, so I will have to save it for next year. I love supporting my Badgers!
- Disney Princesses Half Marathon at Disney World - I will run in a tiara.
- Famous Racing Sausages 5K - Can I run as The Brat?
- Brewers Mini Marathon - This is the first year of the event - I'll have to see where this fits into my training, if I will do it this year, or wait for next.
- Dirty Girl Mud Run - This looks awesome, but also really hard. I think I'll save this for next year.
- Cellcom Green Bay Half Marathon - Who wouldn't want to run a race that finishes by running into Lambeau Field?
- Summerfest Rock 'n Sole Half Marathon and 10K - Maybe this year, maybe not. Either way, I will definitely be at Summerfest.
- Storm the Bastille 5K - Totally doing this one this year. Running through the streets of Milwaukee at night sounds like a ton of fun, and a great way to get in a run.
- Nike Women's Marathon - You get a Tiffany Necklace at the end. What?!