Sunday, April 8, 2012

30B430 Book 15: One Day


I had not heard of David Nicholl's book, One Day, until I saw the premiere for the movie version, starring Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess. It seemed like an interesting concept - looking at the same day in the relationship of the two main characters, Emma and Dexter, each year over the course of a few decades. When I found it in my mom's pile of books, I decided to pick it up.

I was not disappointed - definitely a good read, as you watch each of the characters grow and stumble through post-college through their late 30s/early 40s through the snapshot of one day. The relationship between the two characters is a complex one, and the format of the book leaves the reader trying to piece together the story of what has happened between each July 15, St. Swithin's Day. Which I learned, is a holiday in England that has the tradition of watching the weather, because whatever it is like that day, it is said to continue for the next 40 days.

I waited to rent the movie until after I finished the book. I'm not a huge Anne Hathaway fan. I typically find her really annoying. But I will give it a shot.

Half way to 30 books!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...