Monday, April 23, 2012

Meatless May

Photo from Inspire Fitness
One of the items on my 30B430 list was to give up meat for a month and try being a vegetarian. It has always been something that I have been interested in exploring, but I do not know that I would be able to make the commitment long-term. I figured it was time to give it a shot for 30 days, to see what happens.

And so, a week from tomorrow, I will start Meatless May. I will still plan to eat eggs and dairy products, but no poultry, pork, beef, or seafood.

I have been gathering some different food ideas online, so that I will have options for things to eat. It is really key that I continue to eat enough protein Here are a few recipes that I am planning to try out:

  1. Summer Corn Cakes from Ezra Pound Cake
  2. Portobellos with Leeks and Spinach from Martha Stewart
  3. Baked Lemon Pasta from Pioneer Woman
  4. Chipotle Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Guac Tacos from Naturally Ella
  5. Simple Vegetable Curry from Martha Stewart
  6. Zucchini with Quinoa Stuffing from Real Simple
  7. Lentil Tacos from Budget Bytes
  8. Spinach and Gruyere Quiche from Martha Stewart
  9. Couscous and Feta Stuffed Peppers from Smitten Kitchen
  10. White Bean Chili from Real Simple
  11. Hearty Black Bean Quesadillas from Budget Bytes
  12. Leek and Mushroom Quiche from Smitten Kitchen
  13. Butternut Squash Pizza from Real Simple
  14. Pesto Foccacia Pizza from Budget Bytes
  15. Tortilla and Black Bean Pie from Martha Stewart
  16. Winter Lentil Soup from Real Simple
  17. Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps from Pioneer Woman
  18. Roasted Veggie Couscous from Budget Bytes
  19. Stuffed Poblano Peppers from Real Simple
  20. Chickpea Salad with Roasted Red Peppers from Smitten Kitchen
  21. Mediterranean Grain Salad from Martha Stewart
No way I could get through all of these in a month. But it is nice to know that I have many options, and won't just be eating salads or sides. I feel like that is a common misconception of vegetarian diets. I always have my standbys too - poached eggs and toast, grilled cheese, pasta and meatless sauce, and the good old bowl of cereal. Yum. Oh, and that delicious Black Bean Soup recipe that I made last week.

Chris is going to be my cheerleader along the way, but won't be giving up meat with me. Since he does not eat many fruits or veggies, he would probably starve! We will have to figure out which meals that we can eat together, and when we will each be preparing our own food. That is the only major drawback to this little experiment.

Part of why I put this on my list is because I think it is fun/interesting to push oneself through adding things/removing things from regular routines. Like adding exercising, taking away eating out, etc. I eat several meatless meals each week, but this will be the first time that I have cut it out entirely. I am interested to see what I will miss the most. Will I crave a hamburger? Or a slice of pepperoni pizza? Or will I love it, and want to stick with it after the month is up. We will just have to wait and see.

Have you attempted to add or subtract anything from your routines lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...