Thursday, April 12, 2012

Travel Bug

I have an itch to get out on the road. Or perhaps across the sea...

I wish I could say that I have had an adventurous travel life, but the reality is that the only time I have left the United States was to go to Tijuana for the day during a college spring break trip to San Diego. Even within the US, there are so many destinations that I have yet to see. My travel bucket list is full of exciting locations I hope to get to in the next 5-10 years.

Image from here
Mt. Rushmore
So this may not be on your list, but I need to get to Mt. Rushmore via a classic family road trip. We never went when I was a kid, and I sort of feel like I missed out. I want to stop at all of the cheesy tourist attractions along the way during the long trek across the state of South Dakota. And then turn around and go back the other way. Who's in? 

Image from here
Italy
Much like Liz Gilbert, I would like to eat my way through Italy. I do not even care if it means that I gain 20 lbs and have to go up a few pants sizes. I want to see every part of the country, and try everything. If only I had several months to spend there. If only...

Image from here
Alaska
Don't worry...I already have my Alaska travel guide. And a tiny stuffed moose to get me excited. This is one trip that I am definitely going to make happen. And hopefully soon.

Image from here
Paris
I would imagine that Paris is on everyone's list, so this probably does not require too much explanation. Every movie that I have ever seen that involves Paris makes me want to get there even more. (Most recently, Hugo). I am confident that there are many other beautiful parts of France to see. I'll start with Paris.

Image from here
Ireland
I want to go to Ireland. Chris REALLY wants to go to Ireland. His Irish heritage is stronger than mine. That's probably why. But either way, it is a place that we will find the time and the money to get to see. Cliffs - yes. Castles - yes. Pubs - yes. I'm in!

Image from here
London
I think that when we get to Ireland, we will definitely make London part of the trip too. Oh, and I will ride the London Eye.

Image from here

Hawaii
Watching The Descendants sealed the deal on this one. During the final scenes, when Matt is taking his kids out to see their family's land, which is untouched by the tourist industry, I was totally blown away. Although I have yet to go, I am quite positive that Hawaii is one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Image from here
Machu Picchu
One of my good friends recently told me about her trip to Peru, where she spent a week hiking the Inca Trail to get to Machu Picchu. As she told me about their journey, which involved one friend spending significant time on the "emergency donkey" with an oxygen tank, I kept thinking, yep, I'd probably be that friend. Yet I think it would totally be awesome to do something that physically challenging to get to see a place of such history and beauty. Where can I sign up?

What is on your travel bucket list? Where are you itching to go next? Where is the coolest place you have been?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...