Sunday, April 29, 2012

Still Standing


10K Complete! I survived my first race and am here to tell the tale...

On Friday, I discovered that it was most likely going to be raining during the race, and polled some experienced runners about what to wear. They suggested:
  • A few water resistant layers
  • A baseball cap to keep the rain out of my eyes
  • My glasses - also to keep the rain out so that I didn't have to squint the whole time
  • A trash bag - to wear until the race started to keep me dry for as long as possible
I woke up on Saturday morning and it wasn't raining at the time, but sure enough, at exactly 8 am, right after I picked up my race packet, it started to rain. Oh, and hail a little. Thankfully that stopped before I had to get out of the car. I really did not want to get out of the car, but I also didn't feel like I could skip out on my first race.

Signs that I was a beginner: I had no idea what to do when they only gave me one safety pin for my race bib. Thankfully I eventually found a table that had a handful of em. Oh, and I waited until 10 minutes before race time to get in line for the porta potty. I ran out and directly to the start of the race.

The rain was pretty cold and miserable throughout, but the run itself was not too bad. I actually did not find out my final time until today, when I found the race results posted. I finished in 1:06:28, which is a pace of 10:42. I was surprised to discover, I wasn't last! I finished 170 of 192, and 17 of 19 for my division. I obviously was not competing to get a medal, and was just trying to finish, so I knew I would be towards the end. I am hoping to increase my pace a little bit over time, but not bad for my first race.

My next race will be The Color Run 5K on May 19th. It should be a ton of fun. More training miles to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...