Wednesday, February 22, 2012

30b430 Book #10: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)


I had been wanting to read Mindy Kaling's new book, and so when a group of friends decided that we would start a new book club, I was so excited that this was the first choice. So excited, in fact, that I read the entire thing over a month before our meeting. Yeah, may need to re-read.

Or rather, re-listen. This was the perfect book to get in an audio version. Mindy is funny and charming - totally someone I would want to be my bestie. She talks about The Office, of course, about the challenges of breaking into the comedy writing scene, and talks a little bit about her costars. Some of her stories are short, others more detailed, all pretty great. 

Perhaps my favorite story that she tells is about one of her middle school classmates and the friendship that they formed over their love of comedy, while she struggles to decide if she is ready to move on from her other friends. Really cute story, that reminds me a lot of the challenges of middle school friendships. Ahh, dumb girls. 

I also loved her story about working with Amy Poehler on SNL when she was a guest writer for a week. Between what Mindy wrote about her and what Tina Fey wrote about Amy in Bossypants, she has got to be one really awesome lady. I hope she writes a book next. 

I cannot wait to talk about this at our first book club!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...