Wednesday, February 1, 2012

30B430 Book #6: Water for Elephants

 

I had been wanting to read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen for quite some time. It's one of those that I checked out from the public library multiple times, but just never got around to reading. After seeing the movie, which was excellent, I was even more motivated to get my hands on a copy. And so, when I found it on Audible, I was optimistic, especially after I read through the reviews, which talked about how great that the narration was. They were so right - it was fantastic! The voices of both young and old Jacob were the perfect fit.

If you haven't had the opportunity to read Water for Elephants yet or seen the movie, it is a beautiful story about a young aspiring veterinarian who joins the circus after a tragic family event. He is drawn into a world that offers the audience some joy during the dreariness of the Great Depression. It is of course a facade that hides ugliness within the circus world. He meets a beautiful, but unavailable woman, and develops a charming relationship with a circus elephant. The book offers a great deal of excitement and adventure, especially when they are jumping train cars.

Great story. Definitely check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...