Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Major Donation


(Photo originally found here)

Yesterday, I made a big commitment. I registered with the Wisconsin Donor Registry, agreeing to donate my organs, tissues, and eyes, upon my death.

Back in high school, I did my senior research paper for English class on organ donation, and learned how important that organ donation is to many people. A few facts from organdonor.gov:
  • One person's organ can save up to eight lives, and enhance even more.
  • 18 people die each day waiting for an organ.
  • A name is added to the waiting list for organs every 11 minutes.
  • There are more than enough people waiting for an organ to fill a large football stadium, twice.
  • 86 million people have signed up to be an organ donor.
At the time, I also learned that simply putting the donor sticker on my license (which is now printed on so it doesn't peel off), is not enough to confirm that your organs will actually be donated. It simply indicates your wishes so that when doctors would speak with your family, they know you were interested. It would still be up to your family to make the decision.

By registering, it puts the decision in your hands, so that your family does not have to struggle with the decision during a heartbreaking time. It also adds your name to the donor network, which expedites the process of getting organs to the transplant recipients.

If you haven't thought about what you would like to do with your organs, I would encourage you to take some time to check out the National Organ Donation website. It has great information. I know it can feel sort of morbid to think about your own death, so I try to think about it as what my final act of service could be.

Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...